• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother trying to steal inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Reallysteamed

My husband and his two siblings inherited the family home as co-owners. His nephew (his brother's son) moved in as a renter with the option to buy. However, the siblings decided without my husband's input to sell the house and land to him at a price that is only fair to the nephew, and wanted us to sign a contract that would give the nephew much more land than was originally agreed upon. In other words, they are trying to diminish my husband's inheritance and what he would leave to HIS heirs, in order to benefit my brother-in-law's son. Since we refused to sign the contract a week ago, the nephew has evidently decided (with input from his father and aunt, no doubt) to withhold my husband's part of the monthly rent, which is now a week overdue. I feel they are doing this to put the squeeze on us to sign the contract, but we refuse to do so until a more reasonable price for the house and ORIGINAL amount of land is set. I believe my husband should just leave it alone until the nephew is a couple of months past due with his rent payment, then get a notice of eviction and have him removed from the house. Any suggestions?? By the way...my husband's sister is executor of the estate, and she has allowed my husband's brother to build various structures on other land included in the estate that have
not yet been divided between them, so I feel that she is being derelict in HER duties as executor. We are residents of N.C..

ALawyer

Before having a Cain vs. Able (The Bible) situation, I'd have a family pow-wow and discuss this. Once the lawyers get involed it can be expensive and destroy a family.

A mediator may help you all resovle it amicably.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">