• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Build on Father's Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jentolson

What is the name of your state? Montana

My father-in-law owns a couple parcels of raw land, and we're thinking of building our home on one of them. What specific document would he need to draw up to ensure the land becomes our property after he dies. Our concern is other siblings who may come out of the woodwork and decide they want the parcel, even though none have shown an interest in it so far.

Thanks for your time.

nextwife

My father-in-law owns a couple parcels of raw land, and we're thinking of building our home on one of them. What specific document would he need to draw up to ensure the land becomes our property after he dies. Our concern is other siblings who may come out of the woodwork and decide they want the parcel, even though none have shown an interest in it so far.

Thanks for your time.
Just curious why you presume that FIL may not someday want to USE the money he could get from selling the property? Maybe none of the siblings have "asked for it" because none of them wants to limit their parents' ability to use their own property as they wish during their lifetime.

Why don't you make an offer to FIL to BUY the land from him? Then, IF he wishes to gift it to you, he can offer to do so!

homemaker

Thanks for your time.

Has your FIL indicated that he will give you one of the parcels for FREE? If not, how do you assume that he would be more than willing to let you build your house on that land?

I don't see any reason why the other siblings should not have a right to that parcel upon FIL's death, they are his kids, too! They may not have shown an interest yet because they may assume that it would all be divided up equally when their father passes on. Just because they are too nice to demand their share when he's still alive does not mean that they should not protest you getting that land all for yourself when he's gone.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">