• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burial Expenses vs Open Bar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shooting star

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA After my boyfriend passed away his family threw a lavish reception. $13,000 worth. Including a open bar. Yesterday, the executor of the estate wrote out checks from the deceased's bank account to cover this and all other expenses. In doing this he has put the house in jeopardy. There is only $2,000 left in this account and we are no where near settleing the estate. In fact a new will was found just a week ago, and this attorney/executor was requested to not perform any more duties pertaining to the estate until everyone could get together. The lawyer requesting this was acting on what the new will said, that I was the benificiary to all my boyfriends earthly possesions and that I was the only person to disperse his estate as I saw fit. He has not satisfied any other debts, utilities etc. The family has already received what my boyfriends insurance co. called a "total account" for about 60-70 thousand dollars. It specifically stated that it was to be used for funeral expenses, household expenses and whatever else they wanted. It was set up by the insurance co. as a checking account. Was the lawyer/executor acting within his rights even though he was asked not to do anything. Shouldn't the assets of the estate be protected before expenses, like the reception are paid? Thanks for your input.

S

seniorjudge

shooting star said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA After my boyfriend passed away his family threw a lavish reception. $13,000 worth. Including a open bar. Yesterday, the executor of the estate wrote out checks from the deceased's bank account to cover this and all other expenses. In doing this he has put the house in jeopardy. There is only $2,000 left in this account and we are no where near settleing the estate. In fact a new will was found just a week ago, and this attorney/executor was requested to not perform any more duties pertaining to the estate until everyone could get together. The lawyer requesting this was acting on what the new will said, that I was the benificiary to all my boyfriends earthly possesions and that I was the only person to disperse his estate as I saw fit. He has not satisfied any other debts, utilities etc. The family has already received what my boyfriends insurance co. called a "total account" for about 60-70 thousand dollars. It specifically stated that it was to be used for funeral expenses, household expenses and whatever else they wanted. It was set up by the insurance co. as a checking account. Was the lawyer/executor acting within his rights even though he was asked not to do anything. Shouldn't the assets of the estate be protected before expenses, like the reception are paid? Thanks for your input.

Q: Shouldn't the assets of the estate be protected before expenses, like the reception are paid?

A: Yes. (Y'all have some mighty strange customs up yandro.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">