• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying vehicle from fathers estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slreno

What is the name of your state (ohio)?
i asked a question about a week ago about my fathers estate and thank you all for the responses..
have another quick question.
my father has a truck that is listed in the estate and i have talked to my siblings and they have all agreed to a price for me to buy the truck.. we all are going to end up with aprox. 26,000 each after lottery pay off and sale of estate and cd's in banks..
my question is if i buy this truck, will this be signed over by the executor (my sister)to me immediately and the amount paid be taken out of my share at the end or do i have to pay out of pocket up front.. i would really rather this be taken out of my share of the estate sales and get the truck asap without having to wait till end of estate and final payout. can this be done?

anteater

There is really no hard yes/no answer. It is the executor's decision.

If the executor feels that she has a firm grasp of the estate's assets and liabilities and there are enough liquid assets to cover administration expenses and creditor claims and there will be enough remaining to satisfy the distributions without making you pay for the truck, then it should not be a problem to distribute the truck to you now and take it into account when the final distribution is made.

If that isn't the case, the executor would be wise to be cautious and hold off until the final distribution is made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">