• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Inheritance Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oz_in_CA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Since my childhood my grandparents have told me that I will inherit their house and after my grandfathers death my grandmother filled out a will on two separate occasions naming me as the inheritor of her house and the rest of my family has always been in agreement on this as I have taken care of her for many years and everyone else already got their inheritance before my grandfathers death.

Now I have been informed that there was an irrevocable trust created in the 80’s that has my aunt and mother has the benefactors, but no one in the family knew about this until a few weeks ago and now with my grandmothers health in decline and her mental state in question. My mother’s new husband has hired a lawyer (who is the one who found this trust) has informed me that I may be charged with Elder Financial abuse and that her will has been changed listing everything going to this trust, which my grandmother has no memory of ever creating or signing.

I plan on getting a lawyer regardless since they have threatened me with Elder abuse, but do I have any course of action to defend myself on the inheritance of this house?

Another detail that I have forgotten is that 8 years ago or so my grandmother had a health scare. So she asked me to setup a grand deed naming me again as the person taking over the house. This is what they are using against me as elder financial abuse.

curb1

If you "have been informed that there was an irrevocable trust created in the 80’s" where is it, and what does it say? Was it set up properly? They surely have showed it to you. Is it legit?

Oz_in_CA

That is a great point, so far they refuse to show me any of their documents and they will not give me the name of their lawyer. This is what made me suspicious about the situation and why I am seeking advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">