• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calif. house value at probate appraisal or end of probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

friendofheir

3 heirs agreed that one would buy house for probate appraised value. Because settlement takes many months and Calif property values have risen sharply, one of the heirs wants more money. Which value must they use, the agreed probate value (one heir has been living in the house and made improvements and repairs) or the value whenever the estate finally closes? It is not the fault of the home buyer that escrow has taken, so far, 6 months.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by friendofheir:
3 heirs agreed that one would buy house for probate appraised value. Because settlement takes many months and Calif property values have risen sharply, one of the heirs wants more money. Which value must they use, the agreed probate value (one heir has been living in the house and made improvements and repairs) or the value whenever the estate finally closes? It is not the fault of the home buyer that escrow has taken, so far, 6 months.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The original inventory and appraisal "valuation date" is deemed to "relate back to" the date of decedent's death regardless of when it is made or filed. Thus, a Probate Code § 10309 reappraisal will always be required if the date of the confirmation hearing is more than one year after the date of decedent's death.

So, for example, if the house is worth, on the date of death, $100,000.00, and 6 months later the house is "comparably" now worth $120,000.00, and is hasn't been more than 1 year, the house must legally sell for the Trustee's appraised value. If more than one year, the Trustee must have the house reappraised prior to "confirmation" of the close of probate, so that the house can be legally sold for the higher amount.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">