• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an attorney take fees without my permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ewillett

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My Father and Aunt hired an attorney to object to my Grandmothers will. The attorney they hired contacted me on a couple of occasions and I contacted him. The point of his contact was to gather information to help his case. My contact was to help with his case and to find out the status of the case in general.

A settlement was agreed upon. The settlement was to let the will stand. Their attorney ultimately accomplished nothing but a delay in distribution and received a change of the executor.

Now the attorney is taking fees from my share of the estate as well as my brother. We are both of legal age, me 35 and he 37. Is this legal? I never retained his services. I never signed a contract. There was never any meeting of minds. He is taking 50% of his fees from my Aunt and 25% from my brother and I, nothing from my father as he was not mentioned in the will. The final hearing was 11am this morning.

I wanted to protest his request to claim the fees and expresed that to him. My brother had a conversation with him that lead threats of extending the case and possibly increasing his fee to 1/3 of the assets. Apparently this is what my Father and Aunt originally contracted. I backed off and submited to his blackmale for the sake of my brother and aunt. Do I have any legal recourse?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">