• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an Executor clear out a home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nnichols

What is the name of your state? MD
I was asked by my uncle's 2 sisters to be executor of his estate. He never married, parents deceased, & no children. He left almost no cash. The value of his estate is in the home. He had moved from his home prior to his death as it was completely run down and not inhabitable. The house if filled floor to ceiling with trash. What would have been of minor value is now ruined by a severe mold problem. The home happens to be in a part of Baltimore city that is very trendy for investors to pick up old homes, completely gut them & start from scratch, so I know that the home will sell once it has been cleared. So, here are my questions:
-Can I just go in, rent a dumpster, & clear out the home so that it can be sold?
-Do I have to list or document all of the trash & mold damaged items prior to throwing them out?
-It is going to be a huge undertaking, as there are approx 7 truck loads of trash, will his creditors come after me or the estate if it takes too long?
Thanks & sorry so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">