• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the family just help themselves?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nancy Wex

I had a good friend just die. She lived with her neice for the last 4 weeks of her life. She has 2 grown children who helped take care of her plus several brothers,sisters and myself.She never signed any papers of any kind giving anyone power over anything.She didn't even have a will.
The neice and a sister helped themselves to her personal belongings like her rings and etc.They only allowed the children to have a few things that they didn't want or either the children just had to take the few things they did get.She was in a coma the last week of her life but was still alive when her SS Disabled checked arrived.The neice and her husband took the check and gave it to a sister without telling the 2 children(1 is 23 years old and the other is 26 years old).The sister said she had given the check to the funeral home to pay for the opening and closing of the grave. Her daughter wanted to send the check back since her mother didn't sign it.
Was it against the law for the family to use her check as they saw fit even tho it wasn't signed by the mother?
And is there anything they can do to get their mothers personal things back?
I really feel sorry for the 2 children not only losing their mother but seeing the other family members with their mothers things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">