• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shooting star

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?MA
Hi - me again - no one said this would be easy but.......When my boyfriend passed away he had a will that was written `10yrs ago. In this will he named me a beneficiary to all his writings, poems, object de art ect. His brothers were left the balance of his estate. This will was filed 2 weeks ago. Last week I found a will in which I am named beneficiary to all his "earthly possessions". I spoke with an attorney last week and he assured me that even though it was "inartfully" written it met all the criteria of a will. He then wrote a letter to the attorney (who is also executor) of the original will informing him of the new will and requesting that he take no further action in the administration of the estate until we could all get together (the brothers, myself, and both attornies) and discuss this. The original lawyer met with just the brothers today and proceeded to deplete the bank account by reimbursing the family for the funeral expenses. First this account was in question because I had been making deposits into it for 10yrs. So even though only my boyfriends name appeared on the account at the time of his death, I had been told by both attornies that I had some claim to at least part of it. The other thing is that the mother of the deceased received a "total account" from Bill's insurance company (where he worked) for quite a bit of money-based on 1 yrs salary-specifically stating it was to cover burial expenses and household expenses until the estate was setteled. Was the attorney within his rights to pay out this money? This leaves no money to pay the mortgage or utilities on the property. Because it is a long weekend I can't get ahold of the new attorney and I'm anxious to know if what was done was legal. Thanks - shooting star

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">