• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I ask executor for inventory or accounting of estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chaquita

Florida. I live in Indiana and my dad lived in Florida. The problem is the executor lives in Florida and is doing all his part there. He has all the stock certificates and bank books and all assets documentation; he is going to a lawyer and an accountant.. Problem is I would like to know what he came up with meaning the inventory or the worth of all the assets? Can I call the accountant and ask for a list? Or should I ask the executor for a list?? I am in my father's will so do I have certain rights? Help??

A

advisor10

JUNE 23, 2001

DEAR CHAQUITA:

You have the right to ask the accountant for an inventory list of the assets, but he doesn't have to provide you with one. Same thing holds true about the executor. If you were to ask, you would give the impression of being a bit anxious or pushy.

It is much wiser to wait 1-2 months to allow them enough time to handle the estate affairs. They have to claim these assets, pay any outstanding bills, funeral expenses, estate taxes, and other paperwork. As soon as they have finished adding everything up, you can be assured they will notify you when it is time to distribute your check for your share of the estate. Make sure they have your address and phone number.

If you don't already have a copy of the will, then you could ask for that, but it won't give you a complete picture of what you are eligible to receive because that figure hasn't been computed yet. It may only give you a general idea of what you may be eligible to receive.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">