• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get acccess to the safe deposit box?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melonjello

What is the name of your state? Florida

My step-father passed away in 2002, and for whatever reason, my mother never opened the safe deposit box that he had in Miami. There wasn't an estate or anything when he died since he didn't have any assets. My mother has since passed away and I'm the Personal Representative for her estate. Would it be possible to get access to the safe deposit box?

Even if I can get access, I live on the other side of the country and can't visit the box in Miami in person. Can the bank employees open the contents and give the contents to me to distribute to my mother's estate?

JETX

melonjello said:
My step-father passed away in 2002, and for whatever reason, my mother never opened the safe deposit box that he had in Miami. There wasn't an estate or anything when he died since he didn't have any assets. My mother has since passed away and I'm the Personal Representative for her estate. Would it be possible to get access to the safe deposit box?
Was your step-fathers estate ever probated??
Was the transfer in authorization (from your step-father to your mother) ever done??
If so, then you would have the right of access as the representative of her estate.
If not, then you may have to get a court order for the bank to make the box available to you.

Even if I can get access, I live on the other side of the country and can't visit the box in Miami in person. Can the bank employees open the contents and give the contents to me to distribute to my mother's estate?
No. The bank will not assume the responsibility for accessing the box. You will likely have to get a responsible party to do that (a local attorney) for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">