• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I view a joint will after a probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lanet548

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My cousins mother and stepfather established a joint will in the 80's. After his mother passed away a probate was opened in Ohio. He recieved a small gift, but he believes that his copy of the joint will (in Ohio) has been tampered.

My cousin was not able to view the original will which is currently being held in the a county courthouse (Michigan.) The probate office in Michigan does not allow him to view the original will because the other spouse (his stepfather) is still alive. That was the first excuse, but then the probate office said that they are really protecting themselves because they do not have to much experience with joint wills.

They told us to get a lawyer that will be able to find the specific law which does grant my cousin access to the will. He contacted many lawyers, but since joint wills are not common nowadays, they charge huge amounts to research the information.

My question is, does my cousin thave the right to see the original joint will? If he does have the right, which is the actual law that states so?

I thank you in advance for your advice.

Dandy Don

Tampered with how? What changes does he think have been made and who does he think did it?

Whose original will is it (the mother's or the stepfather's) that is being held in Michigan and why is it there?

What month and year did the mother die?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

lanet548

My cousin has reasons to believe that his stepfather was able to get a copy from the court were the orignal will was stored since non-certified copies of the joint wills were given to the surviving spouse. In the process his stepfather may have changed the will and took it to Ohio for probate. It was up to the Ohio court to ask for a certified copy from the Michigan court; no such thing occurred.

It was a joint will and his mother died in 1981.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">