• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I write my own will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DonnaGeraldine

I live in MI, my youngest sister is joint owner on bank accounts, my 401K and annuity she is beneficiary, I want to do a quit claim deed so she gets my house, can I do this myself? If we die together what happens? I have an older brother and sister who don't live close, I don't want to burden them with this but if my sister Denise isn't able to take care of it can they? I guess what I'm asking is can I write my wishes down in a will and have it notorized, will it be legal?

S

seniorjudge

DonnaGeraldine said:
I live in MI, my youngest sister is joint owner on bank accounts, my 401K and annuity she is beneficiary, I want to do a quit claim deed so she gets my house, can I do this myself? If we die together what happens? I have an older brother and sister who don't live close, I don't want to burden them with this but if my sister Denise isn't able to take care of it can they? I guess what I'm asking is can I write my wishes down in a will and have it notorized, will it be legal?
Yes, you can write your own will if you really do not care who gets the stuff. If you do care, then hire a lawyer.

JETX

DonnaGeraldine said:
I want to do a quit claim deed so she gets my house, can I do this myself?
Yes. There are forms available for your state on the internet.

If we die together what happens?
Absent any other 'specific' circumstances, your assets would likely transfer to her estate.... and be distributed to HER heirs, either by her will or intestate.

I have an older brother and sister who don't live close, I don't want to burden them with this but if my sister Denise isn't able to take care of it can they?
Not without a will specifying such.

I guess what I'm asking is can I write my wishes down in a will and have it notorized, will it be legal?
No. There are additional legal requirements to make a holographic (handwritten) will legal. For more, go to a local attorney and/or the following: http://www.medlawplus.com/library/legal/states/michigan.tpl?page=lwt

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">