• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a person ever lose right to property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biglhyte1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
If someone willed property to an individual, can that person ever lose the right to the property?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If someone willed property to an individual, can that person ever lose the right to the property?
Yes, absolutely.
Now, you've received an accurate answer to the question you posed. However, I'm pretty sure it's not the answer that applies to your situation. However, since you decided to give no details, you won't get a valid answer.

Additionally, you should stick with one thread or the other: https://forum.freeadvice.com/wills-trusts-estate-planning-113/fails-qualify-431077.html

anteater

Trying to figure out a way to steal the land that grandpa left to his new wife under the terms of his will, eh?

biglhyte1

Not at all

No, I am not trying to steal the land. What I am trying to do is save it. She is on drugs and have moved to another state. No one knows where she is and the taxes have not been paid. With all of this being said, I pose the question again. By law, if she is no where to be found and obviously she is not planning on taking care of the land, physically or financially, is there anyway we can get what is rightfully ours? Please help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, I am not trying to steal the land. What I am trying to do is save it. She is on drugs and have moved to another state. No one knows where she is and the taxes have not been paid. With all of this being said, I pose the question again. By law, if she is no where to be found and obviously she is not planning on taking care of the land, physically or financially, is there anyway we can get what is rightfully ours? Please help.
What makes you think it's "rightfully" yours? Oh, never mind - I'm sure it's included in one of your other threads :rolleyes:

anteater

What makes you think it's "rightfully" yours? Oh, never mind - I'm sure it's included in one of your other threads :rolleyes:
The first thread was a hope and prayer that disqualifying her as the estate administrator would enable the "rightful owners" to "liberate" the property.

anteater

This isn't like the lottery. She doesn't have to show up with the ticket to claim the prize. The duty of the estate administrator is to find her and deliver the property into her hands. What she does with it after that is her business.

Sandie5

what does it mean to deliver into her hands?

I have a similar situation --completely separate from the other post about my mom.

My dad passed away and his wife is not all together emotionally. I offered to sell the condo and split the money with her but she's afraid that they will take her to jail. She has a bit of paranoia and is on disabilty pension. She's afraid that by signing the quick deed, the govt in Canada will think she is rich and jail her for fraud. Delusional too, so it's hard to talk to her.

The condo is sitting there with no maintenance or taxes being paid and soon there will be a lien on it.

All I need is for her to sign the home to me so I can look after it. Otherwise it will be taken over by the government (in Florida) and that would be a shame.

I think like anteater says, the one who gets the property can do whatever they want, even let it go to the government.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">