• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Sister's Sue Me Over Inheritence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thegguy

I live in New York. My mother passed away late March and in her will (written 2 years ago) left everything to me, intentionally making no provisions for my two sisters (they had a long history of borrowing large sums of money and never paying back). Mom's attorney feels this is iron-clad, but my sisters have sued me claiming Mom was incompetent at the time of the will signing (she absolutely was not, and her attorney will swear to it) and that I used fraud and deception to coerse her into preparing the will this way (I actually had nothing to do with it...she discussed the details with her attorney and made her own decisions). My parents also made some large gifts to me a few years ago while they were both alive (also sisters are claiming I influenced them to do that) and my sisters attorney is asking for that back. I have Mom's attorney representing me, but I have not had a good night sleep since. I guess I am looking for reassurance. Do they have a case? Can I get on with my life? Thanks

A

advisor10

JUNE 7, 2001

DEAR GUY:

So sorry that you have to go through the difficult situation of having to face up to your relatives' greed!

You can quit worrying--a lawsuit of the type that they have brought against you is very difficult to win, and from the way you have described this situation they have no evidence to back up their claim in court.

DO NOT GIVE ANY MONEY BACK TO THEM--this is just a pathetic attempt by them and their attorneys to blackmail you into giving them money without having to go to court--if they felt confident about winning their case they wouldn't be asking you for money! The only way you would have to give them money is by court order from the judge if they won their lawsuit--and it doesn't look as if that will be happening!

Have fun deciding how you'll spend your money! Your relatives got exactly what they deserve for being so irresponsible in not paying their debts, and you were rewarded for being the good person that you are. Mom knew best!

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">