• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone please advise me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livinginhell

What is the name of your state?New Jersey

My father died last March. He left me & my two brothers a house up in Maine. I want to sell the house. One brother uses it for 3 weeks in the summer and pays only 1/3 of all the expenses. He also lets his friends use the house for a couple of weeks -expense free.

What are my options? Should I contact an attoney to find out my rights? :confused:

Dandy Don

What state did father die in?

Did father own the house completely or is there still a mortgage on it?

Did father leave a will?

Probate needs to be done in whatever state he died in (or it could also be done in Maine where the property is) to determine the official heirs which will most likely be the sons. Then the executor or sons can decide whether the sell the home or rent it out to other people or whatever.

Yes, consulting a probate attorney would be a wise thing to do.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

livinginhell said:
What is the name of your state?New Jersey

My father died last March. He left me & my two brothers a house up in Maine. I want to sell the house. One brother uses it for 3 weeks in the summer and pays only 1/3 of all the expenses. He also lets his friends use the house for a couple of weeks -expense free.

What are my options? Should I contact an attoney to find out my rights? :confused:
First of all, what state was your father a resident of and did he have a will?

livinginhell

will problem

I am in New Jersey.

Thank you very much. Here are the answers to your questions.
My Dad died in New Jersey. Left one house in NJ to my step mother. The other one in Maine(which is all paid for) was left to me and my 2 brothers.
One brother (Paul) is the executor. It has been 14 months and nothing is being done. I am paying 1/3 of taxes, insurance etc. and haven't seen the house for 22 years. One brother uses it every year for 3 weeks with at least 10 other people and lets his friend use it for no charge! I want to sell.
Thanks for all the help.

S

seniorjudge

livinginhell said:
I am in New Jersey.

Thank you very much. Here are the answers to your questions.
My Dad died in New Jersey. Left one house in NJ to my step mother. The other one in Maine(which is all paid for) was left to me and my 2 brothers.
One brother (Paul) is the executor. It has been 14 months and nothing is being done. I am paying 1/3 of taxes, insurance etc. and haven't seen the house for 22 years. One brother uses it every year for 3 weeks with at least 10 other people and lets his friend use it for no charge! I want to sell.
Thanks for all the help.
Okay, since you didn't answer both of my questions, I will have to give you my best advice: get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">