• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they contest after all this time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dcounter31

When my grandmother passed away in 1988, she left my mother the house and the property and appointed her executor of the will. My aunts and uncles have been fighting over the will, each thinking that they should have it all. One uncle came to visit and told my mother that her attorney had sent all of the kids(except for my mother)papers to sign to contest the will, but no one ever signed them. Can they still contest after all these years and if so can they make me sell my house and split the value? My mother has given my husband and myself the house and property.

H

Henry T

If your mother filed the Will for probate back then, and followed the proper processes, with notice to those entitled to it, then the time for contesting the Will is long gone. If she just read the Will, said it's mine, never bothered to have the Will probated, and title to the proerty changed (and she'd probably have needed to go thru probate unless it was in joint tenancy) then unless she can claim some form of "adverse pssession", there was no probate and thus no one but grandma's estate has title.

D

dcounter31

Thank You sooo much for your help! I remember my mother saying that the will was in probate and she had to post an ad in the local newspaper for all those mentioned in the will as to the estate happenings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">