• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a transferred deed be invalid? NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

My father's name and mine was on the deed to a piece of property that I live on. Nine years ago he transferred full ownership into my name, for $1 and love and affection.
He passed away a few months ago and my sisters' lawyer tells her that transfer was illegal.
Please help me find the answer.

anteater

Based upon the few facts that you relate, the most that anybody can say is:

If your father was legally competent and was not subjected to undue influence in relationship to the trasnfer, then he was free to dispose of any of his assets as he desired.

Any idea why sister's attorney says that the transfer was illegal?

Stephen1

Alternatively, they could be saying that the transfer never occurred. That whatever actions your father took did not fully meet the state's requirements to transfer property. Only a competent attorney who is looking at all the paperwork will be able to determine whether the transfer was procedurally correct. If it was proper then the question arises as to what the other lawyer was referring to.

xylene

The bottom line is that your sisters want ~1/4 of your house and you need to speak with your own lawyer.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">