• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the witnesses on my will be related to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marshmello

I live in VA. In preparing my will I've chosen my mom and step dad as my witnesses. Can they sign as witnesses or do I need to choose 2 people that aren't related to me?

A

advisor10

10-12-2001

DEAR MARSHMELLO:

Yes, they can be your witnesses, but a more important consideration you may want to make is to have them accompany you to the office of a notary public so that YOUR signature can be witnessed also by the notary, so there will be no question about it's authenticity.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

JETX

Sorry, but the response you got MAY not be correct.

Normally, there is no restriction barring a witness to will from being related, but in most cases the witness CANNOT benefit from the will. So, if your mother and step-father are potential beneficiaries, they would normally be precluded from being witnesses.

Suggestion, if you cannot find ANYONE else to witness your will, check with an attorney in your state for their validity. If you can find someone else, do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">