• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you buy life estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilbrowneyes

What is the name of your state? Missouri. My great-aunt deceased with a will that has been probated. She had 20 acres she divided the land into 3 different tracts. The North 4 acres (which is the home, and retail business) she gives and devises to her cousin for lifetime upon his death to her daughter. In the event her daughter deceases it goes to her brothers and sisters. Then she gives 13 acres (farmland) to her daughter as her absolute property. Then she gives her brothers and sisters 3 acres to share as their absolute property, but if they decided to sell they must give first choice of purchase to the cousin. The brothers and sisters sold the 3 acres to the cousin. I have done research and found out that by the description on the quit claim deeds states they sold their interest in the whole 20 acres. The cousin was trying to get a deed of trust on this estate by saying they sold everything to him. Is this possible? They had no knowledge they were selling the home and business. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">