• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you sign away future inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnegative

I'm in kentucky. I was wondering if this was possible. Can I sign my future inheritance away to a person or company in order to have proof, that If I am left anything in a particular will, that It definately wont be a gift to me and will go to whoever I sign it over to?
I don't want my father wasting his life hoarding money just so he can give it to me when he dies (which is what he is doing) I have no use for the future money, but he would never "believe" that I would always feel this way, so I need to do something now that I can show him that guarantees that if he leaves me money it will immediatley go to a charity or bank or whoever I sign the contract with.
If this can't be done any advice on how to proceed with my dilemma would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Proserpina

If Dad wants to put money aside for you, there's no legal way you can prevent him from doing so.

If/when he dies, you can immediately donate the money to a charity of your choice or otherwise get rid of the funds.

Is this about the tax implications?

What is the problem exactly?

curb1

Stay as beneficiary and tell your Dad that you appreciate his thoughtfulness and sacrifice. You are being unreasonable unless there is more to the story that you are not telling us.

After he dies, you can do as you wish with the money.

bnegative

If Dad wants to put money aside for you, there's no legal way you can prevent him from doing so.

If/when he dies, you can immediately donate the money to a charity of your choice or otherwise get rid of the funds.

Is this about the tax implications?

What is the problem exactly?

I know there is no legal way to do this, I guess you didn't read through my post and assumed you new what I was asking.
What I want to know is: Can I sign away a future inheritance as in write up a contract with a bank, charity etc that states that "IF" I get money in a will from "PERSON X" that I will forfeit that money and hand it over to whomever I'm making the contract with.

Legally my dad could still give me the money, but this would cause him to possibly not want to.

Is something like this possible?

Proserpina

I know there is no legal way to do this, I guess you didn't read through my post and assumed you new what I was asking.
What I want to know is: Can I sign away a future inheritance as in write up a contract with a bank, charity etc that states that "IF" I get money in a will from "PERSON X" that I will forfeit that money and hand it over to whomever I'm making the contract with.

Legally my dad could still give me the money, but this would cause him to possibly not want to.

Is something like this possible?

The real question - snottiness aside - is whether or not such a document would be enforceable, correct?

The legally correct response would be "It would depend".

Take the document to an attorney who can review it for you.

:cool:

xylene

You father could write the will in such a way as to invalidate the contract.

And then, GOD FORBID, you would actually have to touch his filthy slimy money when you gave it to charity.

:rolleyes:

bnegative

Alright I guess I will go to an attorney, Just thought I would see If I could figure it out online first, thought maybe lawyers would be in a Legal Forum... :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
bnegative.

I've reported your posts due to the language/content. The moderator will address it in due time. Please don't repost the same thing.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
The problem you're going to face is that most (if not all) of his accounts probably have a designation of beneficiary on file--IRAs, life insurance, etc. When it's time to pay out, they are going to pay the designated beneficiary, regardless of any directive you prepare in advance. Period. Until your father changes that the money will be yours. Once you have it, you can do whatever you want with it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's strange to see this side of the situation...but the response is actually the same:

It's not YOUR money. You don't get to decide how your dad spends (or does not spend) it. Your dad can designate anybody he wishes to be the recipient, including you.

bnegative

Ok, delete my posts, fine, I'll reword,
YOU ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING MY QUESTION, AND THEN GETTING MAD AT ME FOR TRYING MY BEST TO MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT.

Everybody. I know the money comes to me. I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your guys are not understanding me!!!

I have the right to give the money after he gives it to me to anyone I want. I KNOW THIS. This is why I am here. Can I make a contract, ME ME ME, with a company or bank or charity or person that states that I will give anymoney I receive from , person x IN THE FUTURE FROM A WILL.

This is a contract between me and someone, nothing to do with my dad, NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS WILL!!!!

It's more like leverage, or like a powerplay to show him now that will influence him to take my name out of his will.

Pleas is this so hard to comprehend???? Is this possible??? NOBODY HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Proserpina

YOU ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING MY QUESTION, AND THEN GETTING MAD AT ME FOR TRYING MY BEST TO MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT.

Everybody. I know the money comes to me. I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your guys are not understanding me!!!

I have the right to give the money after he gives it to me to anyone I want. I KNOW THIS. This is why I am here. Can I make a contract, ME ME ME, with a company or bank or charity or person that states that I will give anymoney I receive from , person x IN THE FUTURE FROM A WILL.

This is a contract between me and someone, nothing to do with my dad, NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS WILL!!!!

It's more like leverage, or like a powerplay to show him now that will influence him to take my name out of his will.

Pleas is this so hard to comprehend???? Is this possible??? NOBODY HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I answered.

:cool:

Just Blue

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRY IT!!!!!!!!! SEE if it works!!!! To PREVENT DADDY!!!!!!!!!! FROM DOING WITH HIS!!!!!!!!! MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AS!!!!!!!!HE!!!!!!!!WILL!!!!!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">