• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't receive inheritance due to adoptive cousin not having a SSN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amanda04

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Me and my 3 cousins are to receive equal shares in a Growth Fund stock and a stock from a local bank. My grandmother passed away in 2004. She was the person whom put both stocks in me and my cousins names to be divided equally upon her death. The problem is that my US born adoptive cousin doesn't have a social security number. The lawyer states both stocks can't be distributed until my cousin obtains one. He's only 5 years old and his adoptive mother refuses to cooperate get him a SSN. His adoptive father is deceased. Can the mother be forced to obtain a SSN for the child? Will I have to wait untll the child works (16yrs or more) to receive my inheritance? Why can't the parties involved whom have valid SSN receive their share only? Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">