• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't receive inheritance due to adoptive cousin not having a SSN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amanda04

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Me and my 3 cousins are to receive equal shares in a Growth Fund stock and a stock from a local bank. My grandmother passed away in 2004. She was the person whom put both stocks in me and my cousins names to be divided equally upon her death. The problem is that my US born adoptive cousin doesn't have a social security number. The lawyer states both stocks can't be distributed until my cousin obtains one. He's only 5 years old and his adoptive mother refuses to cooperate get him a SSN. His adoptive father is deceased. Can the mother be forced to obtain a SSN for the child? Will I have to wait untll the child works (16yrs or more) to receive my inheritance? Why can't the parties involved whom have valid SSN receive their share only? ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Q: Why can't the parties involved whom have valid SSN receive their share only?

A: Good question. Ask your lawyer. And have your lawyer threaten whoever it is who has the dough.

Dandy Don

What is the adoptive mother's specific reason for not wanting her child to have the SSN? How much money is this child eligible to receive? Lawyer needs to look into the possibility of setting aside this child's money in a trust account, which may not need an SSN or lawyer may also possibly be able to get an EIN number instead of an SSN. Is the growth fund stock going to be cashed in to get money, or not cashed in?

Is the adoptive mother a US citizen?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

amanda04

Update on inheritance issue

As of July 2007 the estate is closed. It took 3 years. I still have not received my Growth Fund stock and East Penn Bank stock. Neither has my other cousin whom is an adult. The lawyer states she won't release either stock to us until my adopted cousin recieves his SSN. She won't even do the trust account for my cousin.

His mother is an alcoholic whom has now abandoned her kids to her mother. Her mother nor any one in that family will speak to my mother or my mom's lawyer to resolve the issue. I honestly believe my cousin's US adoption isn't legit and that's why nothing is being done. By the way, my ex-aunt received approx 4 million dollars in life insurance from my uncle's death and isn't concerned about a few thousand dollars of stock for her kids.

I would like to hire an attorney but no way I can afford one.

What can I legally do to sort out this mess? I just want my rightful inheritance left to me by my grandmother.

Dandy Don

Start consulting with a local business law attorney or family law attorney until you find one willing to help. In view of the fact that you will be receiving money when the SSN problem is solved, you could ask them to please take your case without you having to pay a retainer until you receive your money. It may even be questionable whether or not you are being told the truth about whether money can be withheld until the SSN is obtained and that aspect needs to be looked at legally as well to see if it is true.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

amanda04

Another Update

To make a long story short, the lawyer is going to create a custodial account for my adoptive cousin whom is 5 yrs. old. Allegedly, they have his US birth certificate and his adoption papers. The lawyer handling the estate is going to open a custodial account, finally.

My issue is that the executrix of the estate has told the lawyer to hold off on distributing my share of the stock for us 4 grandkids. The lawyer can now distribute my share but the executrix wants the lawyer to hold on to it indefinitely. Is this legal? My share is probably only about 5K. I'm not sure if a lawyer would work on retainer for that small amount. Thanks for your suggestions!

nextwife

What the whooey difference does it make that he's adopted? WHY do you refer to his parents as "adoptive parents" or "adoptive mom"??????? They are his parents, she's his mom and the kid is your cousin.

HOW he joined his family is TOTALLY irrelevant to the legal issue at hand.

Would you refer to the child as "my IVF cousin"?

My "sperm bank cousin"?

My "born through my aunt's birth canal" cousin?

He's now your cousin. The PROCESS that created cousinhood doesn't matter.

'Nuf said.

BTW-Adoption has no bearing on having a SS number. Our daughter had one within the first week she was here.

Last edited:

amanda04

Adoption does matter in this case

Adoption does matter because his adoptive parents refused to get a SSN and refuse to show proof of adoption and a US birth certificate to obtain his SSN. His adoptive father is deceased due to his wife being involved in his demise to collect the 4 million dollar policy (she's being investigated in his murder) and his adoptive mother is in drug rehab and has abandoned her kids. YOU CAN'T OBTAIN AN SSN WITHOUT ADOPTION PAPERS AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE. WITHOUT THE SSN,

MY UNCLE HAD MONEY AND COULD'VE USED HIS MONEY AND POWER TO OBTAIN A HIS SON ILLEGALLY. BTW, THEY TRIED TO ADOPT FROM RUSSIA AND THEY WERE DENIED. THEN THEY OBTAINED CHRISTOPHER WHEN HE WAS A DAY OLD.

CAN THE LAWYER HONESTLY SAY THAT A 5YR OLD IS HOLDING UP AN ENTIRE ESTATE FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS DUE TO LACK OF BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND ADOPTION PAPERS, WHICH AGAIN, HE NEEDS FOR A SSN?

Last edited:

amanda04

This Is Directed To Nextwife

I Never Insulted My "ADOPTIVE"Cousin By Making Him Stand Out For Being Adopted. I Used The Terms "adoptive" Because It Does Have Legal Standing If He Wasn't Legally Adopted And Was Stolen At Birth Or Bought On The Black Market. It Does Matter If A Ssn Can't Be Obtained Because There's No Birth Certificate And No Adoption Papers That Exist. It Is Relevant That My Uncle Never Mentioned My Cousin In His Will.

By The Way, I Am Adopted. I Am Insulted By Your Response. I Know About Being An Adoptee.

Last edited:

nextwife

If he WAS adopted, there'd be NO problem having a birth certificate. So the problem is evidentally that he's NOT adopted. An adopted child gets a SSN the same as a non-adopted child. Being adopted has nothing to do with getting a SSN. Nor does being an international adoptee. They, too, get SSNs.

Your new cousin was never mentioned in the will - that may not have been any different if your cousin was born to your aunt subsequent to will creation. "Your new little cousin was not in the will" is sufficient.

Personally, I don't understand why the share could not have been held in escrow until a SSN was obtained, and all other shares distributed.

It is still irrelevant to the legal matter. If your UNCLE engaged in any illegal activity, then that is AN ISSUE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">