• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cap Gain Tax on Partial Gift or Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stanley

my father bought me a house in 1994 (in Florida). he paid 200k. i have rented it from him since that time. i am now buying it from him. the appraised value and purchase price is 300k. i need to purchase it from him for this price (for mortgage qualification purposes). i am going to use "gift equity" of $100k and have a mortgage of $200k.
I know this triggers gift of $100k but that is no problem as he will never reach his unified credit (so no gift tax will ever be due).
my concern is capital gains tax. will he pay cap gains tax on the appreciation of $100k (assuming his basis is $200k and sale price of $300k. or, does the gift equity avoid that issue and we can treat as a partial gift and have me step into his basis and then me carry the gain (like what happens on a complete gift of appreciated real property). this doesnt bother me as i will live in house for many years and have a personal exemption i'll use one day.
thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">