• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

care taker took advantage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catha31

Indiana

My grandfather recently passed away, when our family was going through all the insurance and his will we had found that his caretaker had cashed in the insurance policies that my grandfather had kept on all the grandkids and my mother, she also had his will changed so that she was to receive all of his belongings including insurance and and his land. My grandfather has suffered from Altimerzes for several years and would not have known what he was signing, we did find out that most of the paperwork had been changed within the time he suffered from Altimerzes. Is there anything that can be done to keep her from getting his land we really do not care about the money it just bothers us that she has took advantage of our grandfather when he was ill.

BlondiePB

catha31 said:
Indiana

My grandfather recently passed away, when our family was going through all the insurance and his will we had found that his caretaker had cashed in the insurance policies that my grandfather had kept on all the grandkids and my mother, she also had his will changed so that she was to receive all of his belongings including insurance and and his land. My grandfather has suffered from Altimerzes for several years and would not have known what he was signing, we did find out that most of the paperwork had been changed within the time he suffered from Altimerzes. Is there anything that can be done to keep her from getting his land we really do not care about the money it just bothers us that she has took advantage of our grandfather when he was ill.
You need to see an attorney, like yesterday!

Dandy Don

You need to start caring about the money. This lady will face charges of abuse of power of attorney and elder abuse (she probably got him to sign power of attorney to her) and other charges after your attorney figures out what she has done. She will have to give back everything she stole.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

catha31

Thanks for the input, I made an appointment with an attorney we found out today that she had been made power of attorney which should have never happened she was only there to look after him when the family could not be there its amazing how much she had done and we had no clue. Even when he passed away she went to the funeral home and started making arrangements for the funeral which did not include any services I guess she thought it would be cheaper to have graveside services and that would be more insurance money for her that was stopped. If in fact all the paperwork was signed after his illness she will not be allowed to receive any insurance money? And will we be able to make her move off the property?

S

seniorjudge

catha31 said:
Thanks for the input, I made an appointment with an attorney we found out today that she had been made power of attorney which should have never happened she was only there to look after him when the family could not be there its amazing how much she had done and we had no clue. Even when he passed away she went to the funeral home and started making arrangements for the funeral which did not include any services I guess she thought it would be cheaper to have graveside services and that would be more insurance money for her that was stopped. If in fact all the paperwork was signed after his illness she will not be allowed to receive any insurance money? And will we be able to make her move off the property?
The answers to your questions will have to be settled by a court. As BlondiePB said, get a lawyer immediately.

catha31

Estate Question

Our family talked to an attorney today and he said that an estate needs to be opened which he is in the process of getting it going. We were not sure what questions to ask. Could someone explain to me what an estate means and what it will do or direct me to a website? Thanks

S

seniorjudge

catha31 said:
Our family talked to an attorney today and he said that an estate needs to be opened which he is in the process of getting it going. We were not sure what questions to ask. Could someone explain to me what an estate means and what it will do or direct me to a website? Thanks
http://www.inbar.org/content/commitees/sections/probateNM.asp

Public Service Information
The Probate, Trust and Real Property Section provides to the public, at no charge, the following brochures:

Guardianship-Types and Requirements - provides general information about the guardianship laws in the state of Indiana.

Joint Tenancy-Real & Personal Property - describes joint tenancy and answers questions regarding such.

Buying A Home: Important Facts to Remember - important factors to consider in selecting a home.

Personal Representatives (Executors) - Duties and Responsibilities

Estates - Property Ownership and Death Taxes

The brochures are available through the ISBA office at [email protected] or by calling 317-639-5465.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">