• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caretaker Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kathirsh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My mother lives 2 hours from me. For the last 6 months, we have a care taker living with her 24/7 we do visit every once in awhile to give the care taker a break. I have a good relationship with the care taker, but my sister who lives close to my mother doesn't.

My mother had a little stroke and is currently in the hospital. My mother is upset with my sister and she believes that my sister is going to take all the money from her bank account. So the care taker is removing all my mother's legal papers from the home...

I am more concerned about the caretaker taking my mother's money than my sister. My mother said her trust is recorded in at city hall...Are trust recorded? Do I have anything to be concerned with?

Is there anything I can do? My mother is 84 and is a little confused...but not totally. The hospital thought she was not competent so last night my sister signed for a procedure that my mother didn't want. Then this morning they took her down to have the procedure and my mother strongly refused. They then decided my mother was mentally okay, so they didn't do the procedure.

curb1

You said, "So the care taker is removing all my mother's legal papers from the home...".

Then you asked, "Do I have anything to be concerned with?".

The answer is "yes". The caretaker should not be touching the legal documents, or even know where they are. Be careful and take charge before this gets out of hand. Are you and sister the only relatives involved?

Sometimes trusts are recorded at the courthouse. What do you know about the trust? Who is the successor trustee? You should have a copy of the trust and know the document well.

TrustUser

well i dont know which is worse - the sister or the caretaker.

what the heck is the sister signing a procedure for the mom, if the mom doesnt want it, and can say so ?

and of course the caretaker should not have any access to legal papers, either.

but i am more concerned with the sister. the caretaker may have been trying to do what is best for the mom. it does not sound like the sister is.

trusts are rarely recorded at the city hall. although they can be. are you sure you are not talking about a will ?

you need to get down there and personally see to things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">