• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cash gifts before entering retirement home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tpcd

My Grandfather is residenced in the state of New York. He's 94 and currently staying here with my folks in Wyoming. He is no longer capable of taking care of himself and needs to be placed into an elderly care facility. As a family we have decided it would be best to put him in a home here as we can keep an eye on him on a day to day basis. He still owns his home in upstate NY as well as a condo in Hallendale FL. We are considering selling one or both places to help pay for his expenses at the retirement home. One of my uncles is telling us that my grandfather is allowed to give each of his surviving family a cash gift from the proceeds of the sale of one or both of his homes prior to entering the retirement home. This would leave minimal assets left to pay for his expenses and that the state would take over his expenses from there. I'm guessing this is medicare or medicaid that pays for this? Is this gift legal? I want to do this right and not start a family fued over this. I want my family to know what is legal and what is not in this matter. TIA.

Z

zappy

This would leave minimal assets left to pay for his expenses and that the state would take over his expenses from there.

Answer: Do you think we are stupid..?

What you are considering doing is MEDICAID FRAUD, and you could be subject to criminal charges.

Your Unlce is sooo damn stupid it isnt even funny.

You need to dispose of assets at least 3 years before your grandfather can apply for medicaid.
------------------------

>>>>>>We are considering selling one or both places to help pay for his expenses at the retirement home.

NOW THIS is the PROPER and legal way to pay for his final days in a nursing home. Then when all the money is GONEEEEEEEE, then you can apply for medicaid.

---------------

Sorry to be so cruel, but your uncle should dispose of his property by transferring the title of his home to his kids asap. And You should as well when you get near 65 or so and still in good health, some states are increasing the time limits to 5 YEARS....to make sure you old folks pay your own bills!

T

tpcd

Thanks for the answer..

Answer: Do you think we are stupid..?

Are you kidding me? This IS a Q/A web site is it not? If this is the friendly service one can expect from this web site it should be shut down.

Z

zappy

Hey with states in severe budget deficits, looking for ways to cut back expenses.... and your grandfather having tons of money tied up in houses and you want to milk the state for money...

what do you think?

I guess i'm not nice to people who contemplate ripping off the system....

So are you going to talk to your parents about having the house tranferred to your names?

Just think of it this way, your uncle contemplating being a Theif, a common criminal, stealing from the poor to give to the rich!

T

tpcd

I never stated I was planning on ripping off the system. I have one family member who "thought" this might be legal and that is why I came here to get the truth in writing so that I can prove to him he is wrong. My grandfather worked his whole life and payed state, fed and medicare taxes just like you and I. This is why he, you and I pay them. So that one day when we are in need of medicaid it will already be there. If the state already burned it up on something else, than that shows serious problems with the system. I whole hartedly agree the properties should have been signed over to his children many, many years ago. This is what he and his children deserve for their lack of planning.

Life is tooo short to be so bitter.:)

Z

zappy

no problem...i wish you well.....

and hope for a speedy end to his life, so you can enjoy the fruits of his hard earned labor..

PS my grandfather passed way 2 weeks before we were going to put him into a home, i guess he wanted to die in his own bed next to his wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">