• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CD's in an estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Little Valley

I am currently working on an estate in Idaho that I have found some CD's that I have a question about. On the CD's some of them list the deceased parties name, then it lists the childrens names. There is "and" between the childrens names but not between the deceased and the childrens names. Are these CD's counted in the inventory? If the CD's have the deceased then "and or or" then are these counted in the inventory?

dmode101

They are probably not part of the probate estate. The title you describe sounds like joint tenancy (with rights of survivorship). If so, then they generally pass automatically to the surviving joint tenant(s). If it can be argued that joint tenancy was merely for convenience, and not with gifting intent, then it may be part of the probate estate. Check with the estate's attorney.

------------------
Jeffrey R. Gottlieb, Attorney at Law
http://www.illinoisestateplan.com
This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">