• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mef930

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question. But, my grandmother died a few years back and she left a will. In the will she named me, my brother and my father as beneficiaries. She left a house in all 3 of our names. I need to know how can I go about changing the ownership and the house put in my father’s name?

Thanks

Dandy Don

What are the intentions for the home and who is going to live there or is it going to be sold? If you and your brother want to sign off your rights to the home, you can sign a quitclaim deed and any attorney (preferably a real estate or probate attorney) can help you achieve this, but what is your reason for wanting to put it into his name only? Your brother may not agree to this if he wants his fair share if the home is sold after the father dies.

M

mef930

Me and my father lives in the house but I plan on moving this year. So, my father will be the only one living in the house. My brother and I have decided that it would be better to put the house in my fathers name. My brother really don't want anything to do with the house since he lives in Indianapolis, IN and the house is in Como, MS. When my father dies we have decided that if I don't want to live in the house it will be sold or rented.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">