• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change revocable trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnkbell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

My father has his assets in a revocable living trust, mother past away a few years back. Because of certain people now befriending him, to avoid any problems I suggested he change his trust to irrevocable.

One, any advice as to whether that is good or bad, and two, does he need to employ an attorney to do that?

tranquility

California

My father has his assets in a revocable living trust, mother past away a few years back. Because of certain people now befriending him, to avoid any problems I suggested he change his trust to irrevocable.

One, any advice as to whether that is good or bad, and two, does he need to employ an attorney to do that?
He would need an attorney to assist him. I don't think a change to irrevocable is important at this time. Better might be a durable power of attorney over his assets. (Or, change the trustee.)

jnkbell

California

It was actually an idea between my sister and I, more afraid of my father's age possibly affecting his decision making down the road...almost protecting his assets from himself after some more recent observations.

tranquility

It was actually an idea between my sister and I, more afraid of my father's age possibly affecting his decision making down the road...almost protecting his assets from himself after some more recent observations.
That's the purpose of a durable power of attorney, to care for a person once they cannot care for themselves. If the concern is really that he cannot be trusted to control his own affairs, the answer is a conservatorship. An irrevocable trust to protect in such matters would be a special needs trust. The hassle and work and professional advice needed for that does not make it really a solution for "maybe".

jnkbell

California

Understood. Now that you said that I do remember hearing about the special needs part for one who cannot care for themselves. I need to check his POA.
Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">