• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Tax Law After Will is Written Leads to Trust Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maroonblue11

Illinois
Setup:
In the 1990's, my grandfather set up a trust. At the time, I guess the maximum inheritance tax-free was $600,000, and at the time he set up a $600,000 trust that was to go to my brother and I after the death of our mother.

The rest of the inheritance was in another trust, it was another $10 million or so. That was to go to my mother immediately, which is pretty clearly laid out.

Since that will was written, his net worth decreased for a number of reasons. At the time of his death, the total pool of money left was about $4 million, under the $5 million tax-free inheritance threshold.

My grandfather died last summer, and the bank that held his trust has decided that they're now going to interpret the will as meaning that all $4 million is in the "tax free trust" going to my brother and I, and my mother gets nothing.

My brother and I would both prefer to honor the original agreement, but my cynical side says it's pretty clear why the bank is trying to change the interpretation: if they can lock the money up for the next 30+ years until my mom dies, they get to retain control over the money for the next 30+ years until my mom dies.

Is their changed interpretation correct? Can they do this? If we want to fight their decision, does my brother and I's opinion on the subject matter? Would we be better off taking this to court or arbitration?

We would ask our attorney...but apparently our attorney also works for the bank, and has said that if we want to fight this, we need to hire a different attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Illinois
Setup:
In the 1990's, my grandfather set up a trust. At the time, I guess the maximum inheritance tax-free was $600,000, and at the time he set up a $600,000 trust that was to go to my brother and I after the death of our mother.

The rest of the inheritance was in another trust, it was another $10 million or so. That was to go to my mother immediately, which is pretty clearly laid out.

Since that will was written, his net worth decreased for a number of reasons. At the time of his death, the total pool of money left was about $4 million, under the $5 million tax-free inheritance threshold.

My grandfather died last summer, and the bank that held his trust has decided that they're now going to interpret the will as meaning that all $4 million is in the "tax free trust" going to my brother and I, and my mother gets nothing.

My brother and I would both prefer to honor the original agreement, but my cynical side says it's pretty clear why the bank is trying to change the interpretation: if they can lock the money up for the next 30+ years until my mom dies, they get to retain control over the money for the next 30+ years until my mom dies.

Is their changed interpretation correct? Can they do this? If we want to fight their decision, does my brother and I's opinion on the subject matter? Would we be better off taking this to court or arbitration?

We would ask our attorney...but apparently our attorney also works for the bank, and has said that if we want to fight this, we need to hire a different attorney.
I would suggest that you hire another attorney. Your question, for various reasons, is beyond the scope of an internet forum. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">