• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing my own will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sleite

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I want to change the executrix of my will and don't want to have to go to the expense of an attorney. Can I retype the will exactly as it is but just change the name to the new executrix then have it witnessed by two people? My current will states, ".....do hereby make and declare this document to be my last will and testament, hereby revoking all wills and codicils heretofore made by me." Therefore, copying my will exactly as it is, with just the change in executrix and signed by two witnesses, would this not be just as legal?

Last edited:

Betty

I want to change the executrix of my will and don't want to have to go to the expense of an attorney. Can I retype the will exactly as it is but just change the name to the new executrix then have it witnessed by two people?
Usually changes to a will are done by a codicil - an amendment to a will signed with the same formalities as a will. You can probably download one off the computer. You can do this yourself but some people prefer to pay an attorney to handle any change to be sure everything is done correctly by state law.

BlondiePB

I want to change the executrix of my will and don't want to have to go to the expense of an attorney. Can I retype the will exactly as it is but just change the name to the new executrix then have it witnessed by two people? My current will states, ".....do hereby make and declare this document to be my last will and testament, hereby revoking all wills and codicils heretofore made by me." Therefore, copying my will exactly as it is, with just the change in executrix and signed by two witnesses, would this not be just as legal?
When one asks questions such these, one does not know what he/she is doing. ;)

These documents are too important to have mistakes. Have them done and/or reviewed by an attorney. It's worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">