• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cheated out of inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pearl2

What is the name of your state? This is regarding Texas probate. I am writing on behalf of Fred whose maternal grandmother died in 1993 leaving a Will that named him as one of the beneficiaries. He was never notified that his grandmother died, nor did he receive any inheritance from the estate. The personal representative of the estate (and the main beneficiary) is still alive and is living in the home that he inherited from my friend's maternal grandmother.

I was able to find on the internet Fred's maternal grandmother's Will, the home location of the personal representative, and the attorney who handled the probate (now deceased).

Is there anything he can do about getting his share of the inheritance?

Last edited:

nextwife

What is the name of your state? This is regarding Texas probate. I am writing on behalf of Fred whose maternal grandmother died in 1993 leaving a Will that named him as one of the beneficiaries. He was never notified that his grandmother died, nor did he receive any inheritance from the estate. The personal representative of the estate (and the main beneficiary) is still alive and is living in the home that he inherited from my friend's maternal grandmother.

I was able to find on the internet Fred's maternal grandmother's Will, the home location of the personal representative, and the attorney who handled the probate (now deceased).

Is there anything he can do about getting his share of the inheritance?
And he hadn't noticed Grandma was dead during the period from 1993 to now? He must have really been an attentive grandchild.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Does the will definitely identify your friend and the personal representative individually as beneficiaries by name? Your friend needs to go to the county courthouse probate court to look at the probate file to see exactly how the estate was handled (there should be financial information in the file) to see if there was enough money left in the estate, after debts were paid, to be able to pay him his bequest. He can then consult an attorney to find out his options now. Yes, he was legally supposed to be notified, but what if the personal representative didn't know his address? And why has your friend waited so long to look into the details?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">