• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child dies before Mother-what of her share?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rebeltn

What is the name of your state? TN

My mother's Will names her four children to receive inheritance (myself and three sisters). One sister died before my mother but the Will was not updated. This deceased sister had a daughter (my mother's grandaughter) but the grandaughter was not mentioned in the will. Does this grandaughter have a claim?

S

seniorjudge

Q: My mother's Will names her four children to receive inheritance (myself and three sisters). One sister died before my mother but the Will was not updated. This deceased sister had a daughter (my mother's grandaughter) but the grandaughter was not mentioned in the will. Does this grandaughter have a claim?

A: Yes. The deceased sister's lineal descendants will receive her share. That means the deceased sister's daughter (and any other sibs of the deceased sister's daughter) gets her share.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">