• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is child responsible for deceased parents' debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brownie_79

What is the name of your state?
Indiana

I have been told that the child or children are responsible for a parents' debts when that parents dies. If the parent has no estate or nothing of value when they die how can the child or children be responsile for their debts? I am finding this hard to believe. How can you be responsible for what some other adult buys, charges, ect. when you have no knowledge or control over it. I would greatly appreciate it you could answer this question for me.

Dandy Don

Who is telling you this? Let me guess--it's a creditor who is owed money by your parents. Well, that person is incorrect.

Children (nor anyone else) can not be held responsible for a decedent's debts. The amounts will unfortunately have to remain unpaid and will probably be written off as bad debt in about a year's time.

DANDY DON

B

brownie_79

Thank you for your response. Actually my brother in law and I have been having a rather heated discussion about it.
Brownie_79

Seanscott

You can be responsible if you were a co-signer or your name was also on a shared credit card. If your name's not on it - you don't owe it.

B

brownie_79

Thank You for your response. That is what I thought. I had just been told otherwise.
Brownie_79

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">