• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

children and money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hiddin aginda

What is the name of your state? louisiana

when children inherit money and a business from a parent and they are minors and the other parent (divorced from the other parent) has to handle their business and affairs is there a fee that the parent can get for taking care of all of this and raising the children? i have had to cut back on my hours at work and i have the expense of rainsing them although they have been beneficiaries of a life insurance. i have a lot of expenses and they are 2 teenagers?

nextwife

You want to charge YOUR kids a fee for handling their assets and income?

Yes, if you are running their inherited business, it is reasonable to allocate a reasonable compensation. It just seems to be taking it from the left pocket and moving it to the right.

Last edited:
H

hiddin aginda

well, the reason i am asking is that i am accountable for everything that i spend from their money, i am trying to buy a home and it seems that it would be nice to be able to pay for the home, they will inherit one day anyway?

nextwife

I do believe that if trust assets/income are being used to buy the house, the trust must be the party that takes title. Or split ownership, half you and half the trust, depending upon constributions. None of us has the trust documents. You should talk to your attorney about how to provide this housing in accordance with the trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">