• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children's Liability in Paying for Nursing Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gothamknight777

I'm a resident of South Carolina. My mother has been in a nursing home since the end of October. Her Medicare benifits have run out. She currently doesn't qualify for Medicaid because of her asset status. I understand the financial criteria for going on Medicaid, but in the meantime, am I, as her son, or is my brother in any way liable for paying her nursing home expenses until she can qualify for Medicaid? I just received an invoice from the nursing home addressed to me for expenses not covered by Medicare or insurance. I have been the primary contact with the nursing home for my mother. I handled all the paperwork and attempted to limit what I signed personally to papers that held no verbage regarding financial liability. My fear is that they will come after my finances including property, etc. I have this same fear for my brother also. I'm hoping my fears are unfounded. Any clarification on this issue is greatly appreciated.

GK777

ALawyer

NORMALLY a child has no obligation for a parent's medical or nursing care expenses.

If you did sign something assuming liability, that's different. But now, until Medicaid kicks in you have to use HER assets to pay the costs.

But one suggestion -- speak with an Elder care lawyer and see what might be done to maximize what the family gets (which it can use for "extras") ASAP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">