• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children's responsibility for parents college debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

realg1rl

I live in Illinois, but the situation would apply to Kentucky Law

I was just curious and a little worried. Since getting married I have found out that my mother-in-law owes a considerable amount of money in college loans (probably exceeding $100,000) and probably other debts too that we aren't aware of. She has no real assets, no job and no income of any kind. She's currently staying with us after the death of her long-time significant other. They were never legally married and his children received all of his estate according to his will. I know that debts, such as credit cards are written off and not the responsibility of the children when a person passes away and has no money or assests to pay their remaining debts. But I wanted to make sure that also applied to college debt. My mother-in-law spent years going to college and racking up bills, but never got a job to begin paying off those debts. She basically just went back and took more classes so that the debt would remain in deferment. Will this come back to haunt us and her other children when she passes? If so is there anything that we can do now to help lessen the burden? :confused:

Isis1

I live in Illinois, but the situation would apply to Kentucky Law

I was just curious and a little worried. Since getting married I have found out that my mother-in-law owes a considerable amount of money in college loans (probably exceeding $100,000) and probably other debts too that we aren't aware of. She has no real assets, no job and no income of any kind. She's currently staying with us after the death of her long-time significant other. They were never legally married and his children received all of his estate according to his will. I know that debts, such as credit cards are written off and not the responsibility of the children when a person passes away and has no money or assests to pay their remaining debts. But I wanted to make sure that also applied to college debt. My mother-in-law spent years going to college and racking up bills, but never got a job to begin paying off those debts. She basically just went back and took more classes so that the debt would remain in deferment. Will this come back to haunt us and her other children when she passes? If so is there anything that we can do now to help lessen the burden? :confused:

you are definitely not responsible for this woman's debt. your husband is not responsible for this woman's debt. the only thing the creditors can collect is anything of her estate when she passes. but according to your statement that she owns nothing, there is nothing for them to take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">