• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closing of an Estate Soon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beenhad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My Mother passed away 3 years ago and my Brother (Executor) has distributed everything and was about to close out her Estate until we became light of a Violin which my sister had. We aren't sure of how she got this but we all remember our Grandpa having it and Mom got it when he passed. My sister of 5 of us became greedy and was kicked out of our family when she tried to become executor when Mom got dementia. The other 4 of us took her to court and switched it back to my brother. We just found out that the violin was a real Stradivarius and she just sold it at auction and said she was set for life, buying a house for her son with her first installment of 3 with the 2nd one coming due. Is there anything we can do to bring that heirloom back into the family? Thanks

ecmst12

Sounds like it was a gift to her from mom before she died. You could buy it from whoever she sold it to.

I would also take this story with a few grains of salt.

Beenhad

Sounds like it was a gift to her from mom before she died. You could buy it from whoever she sold it to.

I would also take this story with a few grains of salt.
We are pretty sure she took it like she did everything else, putting her name on everything in my Mom's house. I had looked at this violin when my Mom had it and pretty sure it is the real deal although it had a good crack in it. We just didn't think it was worth anything so it was just forgotten until the gloating. Story, could be but we are checking into the house that was suppose to have been bought which sure she couldn't afford. At least maybe a lien on that til we can find out more?

ecmst12

I don't see that you have any evidence that it was not a gift, and so you would have no entitlement to any money she got from it. You'd need some seriously convincing evidence to be able to attach any of her funds. "Pretty sure" doesn't cut it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">