• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Executors, step-mom and me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sansblague

What is the name of your state? TX

My father named me (oldest of four children) and his wife co-executors of his will. I have told my father that I consider this to be a very bad choice since my step-mom and I do not see eye to eye on anything, and I live about 1000 miles away in another state. Both my father and his wife are in very bad health. Either of them could go at any time. If she predeceases him, the problems will still be there because I am fairly certain that my father has been named co-executor for her will with one of her five sons, and who knows where that could lead. The whole idea of co-executors seems crazy particularly if one of the parties named is physically unable to do all of the running around required.

Their estate is not large, but the situation is messy as you can tell. I try to nudge resolution of these issues, but my father is in denial or just wants to let the survivors duke it out. I value my sanity. What can I do?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Q: What can I do?

A: You are correct and I agree with you. Send pa and step-ma a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the tune of "I will not have anything to do with administering your estate." Then, when the time comes, politely bow out if the will has not been changed and the court appoints you. Happens all the time....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">