• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co-signer question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spaghetti

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

Over the years my Dad has been putting money aside in two different accounts for me and my sister. About 40 thousand each. My Mom is still living. If my Dad passes, does this money go to me and my sister or to my Mom? I know by law you are able to give 10 thousand per child per year. This is how he has been doing it. My Mom isn't listed on these accounts.

anteater

ADDITION: The reason for the questions below is that "co-signer" is an imprecise term for what you are asking.

What kind of accounts?

How are the accounts titled? Are they, perhaps, UGMA/UTMA accounts?

Do the accounts have beneficiary designations - Pay on Death (POD) or Transfer on Death (TOD), depending upon the type of account?

(The allowable anuual gift without having to do any gift reporting is now $12,000 per year per gift recipient.)

If your Dad has been doing this informally, that is, the accounts are solely in his name and with no beneficiary designations, and he passes, then they would still be his assets and would pass according to his will or NH's intestate statutues.

Last edited:

spaghetti

The accounts are checking and CD's. I am the co signer on the checking and the beneficary of the CD. He says he has a will but I think it is very old.

My Mom has accounts of her own too.

seniorjudge

The accounts are checking and CD's. I am the co signer on the checking and the beneficary of the CD. He says he has a will but I think it is very old.

My Mom has accounts of her own too.
You don't need to be a co-signer; you need to be a co-owner.

TrustUser

it sounds like you are on good terms with your dad. why not just ask him how the account is titled ? and ask him to verify with the bank that the money goes to you when he dies.

a will does not control an account with a pod on it.

anteater

You don't need to be a co-signer; you need to be a co-owner.
TrustUser it sounds like you are on good terms with your dad. why not just ask him how the account is titled ? and ask him to verify with the bank that the money goes to you when he dies.

a will does not control an account with a pod on it.
Thank you, gentlemen. You saved me the trouble. Sheesh!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">