• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Codicil

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michaele P.

What is the name of your state? California

Hello. I am wondering if somebody can just add a handwritten codicil to his will without going through a lawyer. Does it need to be witnessed or notarized? Also, My Dad and Step-Mom had a trust and then my step mom passed away. What is my Dad supposed to do with my step-mom's will?

Dandy Don

Yes someone can add a handwritten codicil to their will--it is usually done when the person is very sick or on their deathbed and may not have time to go through the process of contacting the attorney's office and getting the entire will redone.

It does not need to be witnessed or notarized.

If the stepmother's will does not mention the same assets that are in the trust, then it will need to be probated.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">