• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coercion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mamacat104

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have asked questions in here before. GOt another one (sorry).
the situation... my husband died, no children, no Will. He owned a house and lots before we married. by Texas law, I was to get 50% of the house and 50% of the two lots. Months ago, I was going to just sign off and let his sisters/brothers have them. I didn't want them.. My brother-in-law who lives in the house and has for 14 years, told all his brothers and sisters that I did not want the house and lots. But one of the sisters would not listen to him and she has this hate thing going, so hired a lawyer and lied about a Will that never existed, then attempted to show that I was not legally married to my husband. They filed an objection with the court stating that I was not fit to be administrator, I was not the legal spouse in an attempt to take EVERYTHING away from me. I became guilty until I prove myself innocent. They did not have to prove me guilty.. They accused me of destroying a will and also accused her brother of finding one and destroying it. Which is totally NOT true. My husband NEVER made a Will. I AM legally married to my husband (I have proof of that).
BUT, the problem now, They have made a proposal to my lawyer that they will pull their objection to me being administrator and agree that I'm the legal spouse ONLY IF I sign off the house and land and give it to them. (Because of their lawsuit, which has cost me over 10% of the estate, I wanted to sell the two lots and recoup my money spent since the estate is suppose to pay the legal fees). My lawyer says if I don't sign off the lots and house, they will go into court and tell the judge that I am NOT fit to be an administrator, try to discredit me, show that I should not be allowed to be administrator and they would go in and tell the judge that I am NOT legally married to my husband. I told her I didn't understand how he could do that with proof in his hands that I WAS, but she said that was exactly what he planned to do IF I didn't sign off that stuff and give it to his clients. My lawyer said at this point, if I were to fight them, It would cost me more and more and be more than I would get back from the two lots, so suggested I would be better to cut my loses and get out.
ISN'T this blackmail / coercion on their part? How can this be legal? Is there anything I can do to stop them or can I sue them for what they are doing to me?
I would like the judge to know what they have done.
thanks
Barbara

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">