• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting bequest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

betteroff

A relative died leaving a bequest to my mother. There is an executor. A will has been filed. It is almost a year since the relatives passing. How does she collect the bequest without incurring huge legal fees?

dmode101

The executor should distribute the gift without request when they are ready. There are many reasons why it could take a year or more to make distribution. It can't hurt though to ask the executor or attorney for an estimated timetable.

------------------
Jeffrey R. Gottlieb, Attorney at Law
http://www.illinoisestateplan.com
This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

B

betteroff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by betteroff:
A relative died leaving a bequest to my mother. There is an executor. A will has been filed. It is almost a year since the relatives passing. How does she collect the bequest without incurring huge legal fees?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thankyou for the advice. The probelm in addition to the executor not issueing the bequest is a personal one. They don't get along. Still doesn't she have a legal obligation to get the bequest to my mother? What is the legal time frame for those type of things?

B

betteroff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by betteroff:
A relative died leaving a bequest to my mother. There is an executor. A will has been filed. It is almost a year since the relatives passing. How does she collect the bequest without incurring huge legal fees?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thankyou for the advice. The probelm in addition to the executor not issueing the bequest is a personal one. They don't get along. Still doesn't she have a legal obligation to get the bequest to my mother? What is the legal time frame for those type of things?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">