• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Student-need help (gift/income tax?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelp12313

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am currently a freshman in college, and have a problem. In the fall of last year (2007), my mom gave me about $10,000 to invest (she wants to teach me). Would this incur a gift tax?

I already deposited them into several mutual funds. My mom doesn't work, so she has no income.

Also, would I have to report this amount ($10,000) as income on the tax forms? My main concern is the fact that this may affect my financial aid eligibility for college next year.

And would I have to include the $10,000 as an asset on my financial aid forms?

Thanks

anteater

Would this incur a gift tax?
No. A person can gift up to $12,000 each year to as many people as he/she wishes without incurring any obligation to report the gift to the IRS. And each person has a $1M lifetime reportable gift exclusion. Even if the gift had been greater than $12,000 and your mother did have to report the gift, it is unlikely that she would have to pay gift tax.

Also, would I have to report this amount ($10,000) as income on the tax forms?
No, a gift is not income. If the mutual fund makes any dividend or capital gains distributions, then you would receive a Form 1099 and have to report those as income. Or, if you sell the fund(s), you might have capital gains income.

And would I have to include the $10,000 as an asset on my financial aid forms?
Since it was a gift, the assets are your's and it is likely you will have to include them on financial aid applications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">