• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commercial Building Depreciation For Commercial Prop In Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
This is my fathers trust and I am the trustee.
This is a question about the figures that I received on the depriciation schedule from my tax accountant and I am not sure if she is incorrect and wont admit it.
The tax return for the Trust property for the year 2008, I am also the benificiary of the buildings. My Dad Died 7-31-08
Depreciation of the property on the building with a life rate of 39 years that means the amount of months I owned the building were 5 months if the building basis is $1,146,390.00 (It was appraised after his death and I had a step up in the Basis) divided by 39 = $29,395 divided by 12 = $2,450 X the 5 months I owned it shouldnt that be $12,248? You have on the tax return $11,040. Also on the 2nd Commercial Property using the same formula, I come up with $8,588. On the same schedule you had $7,741. as a deduction for depreciation.
Any imput would be appreciated.
Warmly, Al Burnham

tranquility

Using the facts of commercial real estate, a basis of $1,146,390 and a date in service of 7/31/08:

Straight line depreciation for 39 years comes to your calculation for 2008.

However, I get $13,493 for MACRS 31.5/39 year SL NRE, which is what I would use.

See IRS publication 946.

tecate

Ask to see the information your accountant input into the tax software. I would be surprised if the software erred, but it's possible.

tranquility

I agree with tecate. The accountant's calculation is correct with a 08/31/08 date in service and a MACRS depreciation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">