• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

completing terms of will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joeyt15

my wife's father passed away in april 2000. he named the daughter of his deceased wife to handle the will. the will stated that she was to sell the house and divide the proceeds evenly between my wife, her sister (his natural children) and 3 of his deceased wife's children (they were never adopted by him). to this date she has done nothing to fulfil the wishes of the will. when my wife questioned her about it after about 6 months she threatened to have her removed from the will. they are located in georgia. i am wondering if there is a time limit on her taking action or if we have any way to see that she handles it the way the will stated. as far as we know, no probate has been filed. please help. and thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

joeyt15 said:
my wife's father passed away in april 2000. he named the daughter of his deceased wife to handle the will. the will stated that she was to sell the house and divide the proceeds evenly between my wife, her sister (his natural children) and 3 of his deceased wife's children (they were never adopted by him). to this date she has done nothing to fulfil the wishes of the will. when my wife questioned her about it after about 6 months she threatened to have her removed from the will. they are located in georgia. i am wondering if there is a time limit on her taking action or if we have any way to see that she handles it the way the will stated. as far as we know, no probate has been filed. please help. and thanks!
My response:

You'll need to hire a Probate attorney in Georgia to write her a firm letter that, in essence, instructs her to get off her butt, or that you'll open a Probate on your own, and the first order of business will be to have her removed as the Executor of the Will due to her failure to perform as the Will requires.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">