• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated family trust issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michigan11465

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan There is a very complicated matter over a family trust. A man I know is in line for inheriting a very large family fortune which is in a trust. His mother died last year and left his sister as successor trustee to the money but she died 6 weeks after the mother, leaving this man as the next in line to the estate. In January of this year, he went to the family attorney's office and signed trust documents naming one of that firm's lawyers as successor trustee and himself as trust protector. Last month this man went to the hospital and was temporarily in a coma but now awake. A cousin obtained a court injunction barring anyone from speaking to him at the hospital, and asking him who he wants to name as a successor trustee in the event of his death. The man has cancer and it is feared that he will pass away before he legally names a successor. Also, is there a way to have this injunction temporarily revoked? I am quite certain that if someone other than his cousin is allowed to speak to the man that he will definitely name someone other than the family's attorney or the cousin as successor trustee. There are many other details in this matter I would like to tell an attorney but I don't know where to turn. Please help!

FlyingRon

We can't possibly tell without reading the trust's provisions for naming trustees.
While the injunction may bar other family members, though I find the fact that any sane judge would issue such, the man certainly could not be barred from talking to his own attorney. I suspect the best you can do is to make sure the attorney is aware of what is going on so he can take the appropriate steps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">