• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concerns about will when living abroad with children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Alabama
I have two minor kids who are american citizens, they where born in Alabama. I am peruvian, my husband is venezuelan and we are currently living in Colombia, but may move any moment to another country because my husband works as an international mobile for an oil company. We want to write a joint will mainly to appoint a legal guardian for them in case something happens to both of us, which would be my brother and his wife, both american citizens and living in NM. How do we do it? In English? in Spanish? register the will here-Colombia- in the American Embassy? only once? or each time we change country? what are the steps to follow in a case like this? I have really no idea how to do it, but want to have my kids protected.
Thank you

Dandy Don

You can discuss this with an attorney in whatever country you are in. Some countries do not permit a guardian to be named in a will and that must then be done in a separate document, but your attorney can help you achieve what you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">